Minnesota's Family Law Blog

Does Child Support Mean Paying For Extracurricular Activities?

This is always a difficult question to answer, because most people have two very different beliefs regarding the sufficiency of child support. The first view, usually had by the obligor (the person paying the child support) is that the amount of child support paid in Minnesota is too much and that the person receiving the child support is making money by taking care of kids and there is no possible way it costs THAT much to raise a child. The second view, most often held in Minnesota by the obligee (the person receiving the money) is that child support is woefully inadequate to raise a child and that the Minnesota Legislature needs to increase the amount of child support considerably and that all MN legislatures must truly be heartless sons of guns for ordering such a low amount!

So, with this is a backdrop and understanding it is a polarizing topic, I want to address this question as neutrally as I can. The short answer is that child support is the total amount of child related expenses (excluding health insurance, childcare, and unreimbursed medical expenses) that the obligor must pay. Minnesota Statute annotated 518.26 Child Support Defined discusses what is covered under child support “…Basic support includes the dollar amount ordered for a child’s housing, food, clothing, transportation, and education costs, and other expenses relating to the child’s care.” This is the minimum that is required if you are required to pay child support in Minnesota. However, it’s just that, a minimum. If you wish to pay more, to help out you can.

Thus, it’s very common to agree to split horse camp, football camp, piano lessons, tutoring or the other endless ways you can spend money on your children it’s common to agree to a split on these events. After all it benefits the children and most parents would gladly spend the money on their kids (if they can).

Information obtained in mankatofamilylaw.com may contain knowledgable content about Minnesota Family Law that may be considered beneficial to some; however, in no way should this website or its contents be considered legal advice. Mr. Kohlmeyer is a Minnesota licensed Attorney and cannot provide legal services or guidance to those outside of Minnesota. If you wish to retain Mr. Kohlmeyer as your Attorney in your Family Law matter, contact 507-205-9736.

Share this article
Shareable URL
Prev Post

Are Mothers Favored In Divorce Court In Minnesota?

Next Post

Expungment of Criminal Records In Minnesota (a little off our normal topic)

Comments 1
  1. Pingback: Divorce vs. Legal Separation In Minnesota « Minnesota Family Law Blog
Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Read next